Although birds are an essential part of our ecosystem, then can cause quite a lot of trouble when they invade human living and working spaces. It is at this point that birds stop being the graceful creatures we admire to pests we need to get rid of. Commercial properties are especially vulnerable to problems associated with pest birds, their droppings, and nests.
When birds invade your factory building, they can cause a lot of problems. Some of the problems associated with birds include:
- Roof damage. Bird droppings are very acidic in nature. The acids in the droppings eat away at many substrates including tar-based roofing materials. When left to accumulate on the roof, the acid will eat into the roofing material and eventually cause leaks. The life expectancy of your factory’s roof could be cut by almost half due to the accumulation of bird droppings.In addition to the droppings, birds also build their nests in drains, gutters and roof corners where drains are located. Blocked drainage systems can cause water levels to rise adding to the roofs weight. The added weight could cause the roof to collapse.
- Damage to machinery. Bird droppings can cause serious damage to industrial machinery and air conditioning equipment. The droppings not only damage the equipment but also expose workers working on or around the machines to a dangerous health hazard.
- Fire hazard. Bird nests are constructed from flammable materials such as twigs, straw, and dried droppings. When the nests are constructed inside electric installations and other machinery, they present a great risk of fire.
- Blocked ventilation systems. Bird nests constructed in chimneys and ventilation systems could not only spread disease but could also block air-flow with horrible consequences.
- Other problems include the possibility of disease transmission, a lot of noise that can be a distraction to workers and the risk of “slip and fall” from bird droppings.
With the large number of problems a bird infestation could bring, it is important to protect your building against them. Bird spikes are the most preferred method of bird control. They interfere with the bird’s ability to land (without harming them) and deter birds from roosting, perching or nesting on your property. Bird spikes are popular because they are:
- Easy to install and maintain.
- Cost effective.
- Safe and do not cause any harm to the birds
- Discrete and cannot be seen from a distance.
Our bird spike catalogue includes:
1. Pestrol Bird Spikes (Stainless Steel) – These are made of stainless steel including the base. Their stainless steel construction makes them durable and less conspicuous from a distance. They come in different sizes ranging from 1 meter to 50 meters for application in different parts of the structure to be protected.
2. Pestrol Narrow Base Anti Bird Spikes – These are designed with a narrower base to enable easy installation in tighter areas. They are constructed from a sturdy transparent polycarbonate that ensures durability, low visibility, and effectiveness. Their polycarbonate build also makes them flexible and easy to install even on curved surfaces.
Since birds are an important component of our ecosystem, controlling them humanely is the only thing we can do. Bird spikes offer the easiest yet most effective solution to do this while still ensuring the bird’s safety.